NI: High Court reserves judgment on ‘extraordinary’ Bloody Sunday case
The High Court in London has reserved its judgment on whether seven former soldiers can be arrested and brought to Northern Ireland to be interviewed in connection with the Bloody Sunday killings.
Lord Chief Justice Lord Thomas told the court that its decision would be given as soon as possible, and went on to describe the proceedings as “one of the most extraordinary cases in the annals of the common law”.
The High Court action was brought against the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) by the seven men known as soldiers B, N, O,Q, R, U and V in the 2010 Saville Report.
The proceedings were launched following the arrest of Lance Corporal J earlier this month. He has since been released on bail.
Jonathan Hall QC, representing the Chief Constable, insisted to the court that the proceedings were “an extraordinary case to which ordinary principles ought to apply”.
It was argued that PSNI are experienced in dealing with the potential risks and the men should be interviewed “at the location where the investigations are being carried out”.
James Lewis QC, representing the seven men, argued that the ex-soldiers’ lives could be needlessly endangered if they are brought to Northern Ireland.
He also said they would “voluntarily attend for an interview under caution” in England and Wales instead.