Legal Officer Maternity Cover
FLAC is seeking a dynamic individual to play a key role in operating PILA’s Pro Bono Referral Scheme and raising awareness on public interest law issues.
Pro Bono Referral Scheme:
- Work closely with new and existing NGOs, community groups and independent law centres to develop membership and identify unmet legal need.
- Build and maintain collaborative relationships with the legal profession to support provision of pro bono legal assistance.
- Deliver high quality pro bono referrals from start to finish, including scoping and structuring pro bono requests, placing referrals with the right legal expertise and providing on-going support.
- Identify and pursue strategic litigation opportunities that advance law in the public interest.
- Support the development and implementation of Impact Projects with partner law firms.
- Identify and facilitate new and existing Law Reform Working Groups.
- Plan and organise Legal Education Sessions for partner NGOs.
Barriers to Public Interest Litigation:
- Actively participate in raising awareness and seeking address of barriers to public interest litigation.
- Conduct research and assist in the formulation of policy on barriers to public interest litigation.
- Develop materials and resources on barriers to public interest litigation.
Events and communications
- Design and host seminars, roundtables and events targeting key themes for NGOs, lawyers and law students.
- Assist with the preparation and editing of the fortnightly PILA Bulletin.
The successful candidate will have:
- A degree in law or a related field.
- Experience as a solicitor or barrister is desirable.
- Relevant work experience, preferably in a legal or NGO environment.
- A self-starter with a strong work ethic and a passion for social justice.
- Proven ability to form and maintain diverse strategic relationships.
- Excellent people skills, including organising and networking.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including research and writing.
- Strong knowledge of access to justice issues, public interest law and human rights.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Closing dates for receipt of applications is 6th June 2023. A CV and covering letter should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. FLAC is an equal opportunities employer.